Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beginning...

It's another no sleep night. But it's warm and the cats have stopped arguing, and I'm wanting to take out some beads and do something with them. My blank piece of cloth with the 3" x 3" square marked on it is lurking next to the printer, and I'm feeling restless in that way I get when it's time to do artwork -- even if that time is nearly 5am and I'm starting to see things blurry. I think a lot of things will get clearer in my mind while I work on something. Looking through the latest issue of Beadwork, which is 98% necklaces, earrings, and bracelets and not much embroidery, inspires me, mainly, I think, with color and materials choices. That kind of got me thinking about beading a piece right about now, and I started looking through reference books, and now I'm looking at that empty piece of cloth...

I'm at that place where I'm restless and wakeful, just on the point of starting something new, but not ready, quite, to place that first bead, take that first stitch. It's an interesting and jittery place to be, kind of exciting, kind of hesitant, very familiar. Tom and I had planned to go out Sunday, but that was before I paid the bills. I'll take that time we would have gone out to work on art. But I'll set up my beginning now, before I sleep, clearing space, pulling out colors I may or may not use, picking out stones, or charms, or random pieces of whatever I come across in my storage drawers. I'll pick something up, and sew it down. Maybe I'll still like it there tomorrow, and maybe not, but I will have started a new piece, at last.

6 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

I've hit that restless place a lot lately, I like how you deal with it...I tend to immobilize not just the bead project, but all the other creative endeavors too...like a major logjam.
Hope you are experiencing some peace and serenity after the last few weeks.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm itchin' to stitch too, but haven't yet found the right place to start. Maybe you'll be a good influence on me... ;- )

Robin said...

Interesting, I was still up at 5 am too, but not experiencing that well-described period of time where one contemplates a new piece. I loved being part of your process on the next M piece, Lois!!!

I have a friend who ALWAYS starts a new piece before she allows herself to finish something. She says it keeps her going and eliminates that "Frozen by Completion" space. Think I need to give it a try...

Robin A.

Lois2037 said...

Thank you, beadbabe49, I am in a much better and more peaceful place now... and it is so good for me.

Magpie Sue, no one has ever accused me of being a good influence on anyone! XD

Robin, I try not to start something new before I finish something, because that's the best way I know to end up with unfinished projects as I become caught up in the new piece and forget all about what I was working on before. I can see that the continuous working would be really good -- I'm just not that disciplined.

anita said...

That's such a great description of the 'beginning place'—I tend to get everything I might possibly use out and look at it for a while. I can tell when I'm ready; I begin to get . . . itchy, for want of a better term.

I wish I were disciplined enough to always finish the current piece before beginning the next one, but I'm not. Maybe in my next life . . .

Unknown said...

Great description. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that gets restless like that as I see from the other comments as well as the feeling the "itchy". I didn't realize the funk I get when I'm close to finishing or have completed a bead project was a common feeling either.